Credit Human is a cooperative balancing the needs of responsible savers and borrowers to build stronger communities.
In 2016, SACU became Credit Human. Our new name reflects the San Antonio values that have guided us since we started here in 1935—a belief in others, giving credit to the dreams of our members, and being more human by treating each other with the respect that all of us deserve. This new name extends that belief to every member we serve, no matter where they live, or where they do business.
As the pace of technological change increased throughout the 2000s, SACU made thoughtful innovations to serve you better, including online banking, mobile banking, and more. We’ve grown, doing business across the country, under multiple brand names including CU Factory Built Lending, Mountainside Financial, Credit Acquisition Resources Systems (or CARS), and SACU. More than one-third of our members currently live outside the state of Texas.
The 1980s and 90s
The 1980s brought tough economic times to the country, including a depression in the oil business and a collapse in real estate. GECU continued to serve our membership by offering quality products and services. In 1987, GECU officially changed its name to San Antonio Credit Union (SACU) to better reflect a diverse member base. Upon being federally chartered in 1989, the name was slightly altered to San Antonio Federal Credit Union and setting the stage for us to grow and serve people outside of Texas.
In 1999 SACU pioneered new technology in McCreless Mall with our first retail branch location, using the innovative Remote Teller System (RTS) to provide expedited services for our members.
The 1960s and 70s
By 1962, membership had increased to 4,500 thanks to expanded member fields including the military. In 1963, GECU moved to its first owned building and gained its first computer. By the end of the decade, GECU had become the 12th largest financial institution in San Antonio with $24 million in assets.
With further membership expansion including retired civil service personnel and employees of the Bexar County Hospital District, GECU became the largest credit union in Texas and passed the $100 million milestone in 1974. During this decade of phenomenal growth, GECU innovated with new products and services, such as draft accounts and direct deposit. It became the first credit union in San Antonio to install an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) in 1975.
The 1930s and 40s
It all started on March 7, 1935 when twelve federal government workers pooled their money to form the National Federation of Federal Employees Local No. 28. One of the first credit unions in San Antonio, the original members received thirty-seven loans that year, leaving the credit union with $42.84 in profit. By the first annual meeting in 1936, membership had grown to 98, including the first woman to join.
Credit unions struggled during World War II. The majority were unable to pay depositors a dividend. Local No. 28 was an exception, paying members a 3% annual dividend throughout the war years. By 1949, the credit union changed its name to Government Employees Credit Union (GECU), as membership had expanded beyond members of Local No. 28.